Which Doctor Should You See?

Navigating Medical Care After a Car Crash: Which Doctor Should You See?

The moments following a car crash are often filled with confusion and concern, not only for the immediate damage but also for the unseen injuries that might have occurred. It’s not uncommon for my clients to reach out in the aftermath, having already visited the hospital, wondering, “What do I do next?” This question is crucial because the path to recovery starts with the right medical care.

Interestingly, a common response from primary care physicians (PCPs) after a car crash is, “I don’t deal with that.” It’s important to understand that most PCPs are not specialized in handling traumas that result from auto accidents. This doesn’t mean their reluctance is a setback for your recovery. Instead, it’s an indication that specialized care is needed to address injuries specific to car accidents.

Car Crash Specialists

There are medical professionals who specialize in the aftermath of auto accidents, including neurologists, chiropractors, physical therapists, and orthopedic surgeons. The type of specialist you should see depends largely on the nature of your injuries. For example, a neurologist may be the best choice for head or spinal injuries, while orthopedic surgeons specialize in bone, muscle, and joint injuries. Chiropractors and physical therapists can offer rehabilitative care that addresses both acute and chronic pain, helping patients regain mobility and strength.

It’s important to note that while lawyers are an integral part of navigating the aftermath of a car accident, especially when dealing with insurance companies, they are not medical professionals. As a lawyer, my primary role is to ensure that insurance companies do not take advantage of my clients and that they receive fair compensation for their injuries. However, I always remind my clients that their main job is to focus on their health.

Seeking the right medical specialist after a car crash is critical for two main reasons. First, it ensures that any injuries are properly diagnosed and treated, which is essential for your long-term health and recovery. Second, it provides documentation of your injuries and treatments, which is crucial when seeking compensation through insurance claims or lawsuits.

In summary, after ensuring your immediate safety following a car crash, the next step is to seek specialized medical care based on your injuries. While your lawyer handles the legal complexities of your case, your focus should remain on consulting the right healthcare professionals to support your recovery. Remember, the journey to recovery begins with the right step towards specialized medical care.

Video Transcript:

My clients will call me after a crash and say, “I went to the hospital, what do I do next?” The majority of primary care physicians (PCPs) after a car crash will say, “I don’t deal with that.” Those doctors are not designed for that. There are doctors that specialize in auto accident care—neurologists, chiropractors, physical therapists, orthopedic surgeons—that’s probably who you need to go see, depending on what your injury is. Lawyers can’t give medical advice. The client’s job is to focus on their health. My job is to deal with insurance companies, which means not letting them take advantage of my clients and making sure they pay a fair sum of money at the resolution of the case.


If you or a loved one has been injured due to the negligent or reckless actions of another party, it is important to seek legal representation to hold the responsible party accountable and secure the compensation you deserve. Our team of experienced injury lawyers is here to help you every step of the way. Don't hesitate, contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about your legal options.

Your case may fall into more than one category. Choose the option most applicable to your situation, and we will have the appropriate team member contact you shortly.

This form goes directly to Brian Dettman.