Slip and Falls

What should I do if I am hurt from a slip or fall?

Unveiling Slip and Falls Personal Injury Cases in Kentucky: Slip and Fall Accidents: An Overview

Slip and fall incidents, often categorized under premises liability law, occur when an individual slips, trips, or falls due to a dangerous or hazardous condition on another’s property. These accidents can result in various injuries, ranging from minor bruises to serious fractures, head injuries, or spinal cord injuries. In the context of personal injury law, the injured party may be eligible to recover compensation if the property owner’s negligence contributed to the accident.

Most Common Slip and Fall Personal Injury Cases

  1. Wet or Slippery Surfaces: These cases often occur in places such as grocery stores, restaurants, or other businesses where liquid spills are common.
  2. Cluttered Floors: Accidents can happen in stores or workplaces where items are left on the floor, creating a tripping hazard.
  3. Defective Staircases: A lack of handrails, broken steps, or poor lighting can lead to falls on staircases.
  4. Uneven Surfaces: Cracks in sidewalks, potholes, or uneven flooring can cause people to trip and fall.
  5. Icy or Snowy Walkways: Property owners have a duty to clear ice and snow from their walkways to prevent accidents.

Kentucky Law on Slip and Fall Personal Injury Cases

In Kentucky, slip and fall cases are governed by the principle of comparative negligence. This means that an injured party can recover damages even if they were partly at fault for their accident, but their compensation will be reduced by their percentage of fault.

Kentucky law also stipulates a one-year statute of limitations for personal injury claims, which starts from the date of the accident. This means that any lawsuit must be filed within one year from the date of the incident.

Property owners in Kentucky have a legal duty to maintain their premises in a reasonably safe condition. If a property owner fails to do so, and a person is injured as a result, the owner can be held liable for damages.

Resources for More Information:

  1. Kentucky Revised Statutes Chapter 411 – Comparative Negligence: Link
  2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) – Falls: Link
  3. National Floor Safety Institute: Link
  4. U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) – Falls: Link

If you’ve suffered an injury due to a slip and fall accident in Kentucky, it is crucial to understand your rights and legal options. Consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to explore possible avenues for compensation.

Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.

Frequently Asked Questions About Slip And Fall Injuries

What should I do after a slip and fall accident?

Seek medical attention immediately and be clear with your medical professional where and how you became … Read more

Can you sue for emotional pain and suffering?

The short answer is, yes, you can sue for emotional pain and suffering. Emotional distress … Read more

How much can I sue for pain and suffering?

There is no one right answer. When valuing a client’s pain and suffering, a lawyer … Read more