Can A Child Sue Over The Death Of A Parent?

Loss of Consortium

In Kentucky, a minor child can sue over the death of a parent.  This is commonly referred to as a loss consortium.  In a case like this the children have lost all sorts of help from the parent.  Things like comfort, shelter, love, and safety are losses in the eyes of the law.  This means that a jury can award or an insurance company can decide to pay a settlement to the child.

A probate or other judge will put the money in a fund to help assist the child financially until they reach the age of eighteen.  At that point the money will be distributed to the eighteen-year-old.

If you or a loved one has suffered the death of a parent, it would be wise to consult with a personal injury lawyer for loss of consortium.  All of this assumes that the parent was killed by wrongful death or negligence.  If the parent died through no fault of a third party there is no case.

Dettman Law in Louisville provides free consultations and no lawyer fee is paid until the case resolves.  Brian Dettman handles each case personally.

Advertising Material for Brian Dettman and Dettman Law

Can A Child Sue Over The Death Of A Parent? image

If you have a question about Children's Injury that you need answers to now, give us a call at 502-444-HURT (4878)

More FAQ About Children's Injury