What should I do if I am injured by a motor vehicle or in a car or other vehicle accident?
If you are involved in a car accident and sustain injuries, there are several crucial steps you should take to protect both your health and your legal rights. As a personal injury attorney, I recommend the following:
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention: Safety is paramount. Even if your injuries seem minor initially, it’s critical to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Some injuries may not be apparent immediately after the accident and could become more serious over time.
- Contact Law Enforcement: Report the accident to the police. They will create an accident report, which serves as an official record of the incident and can be crucial evidence in any ensuing legal proceedings.
- Gather Information: If you’re physically able, collect as much information as possible from the scene. This should include the other driver’s name, contact information, insurance details, and vehicle registration. Take photos of the scene, including the damage to all vehicles involved, skid marks, road conditions, and any visible injuries.
- Witnesses: If there are any witnesses to the accident, try to get their contact information as well. Their testimony could be valuable in establishing the facts of the case.
- Do Not Admit Fault: Even if you believe you may have been partially at fault, avoid making any statements that could be construed as an admission of guilt. The determination of fault should be left to law enforcement and insurance adjusters.
- Report to Your Insurance Company: Notify your insurance company. However, be cautious when discussing the details of the accident and avoid speculating about the causes of your injuries. If you plan to consult with a Lawyer, you may want to get assistance from your lawyer with this communication.
- Keep Records: Keep all documents related to the accident and your injuries. This includes medical bills, repair invoices, receipts for any related expenses, and any correspondence with insurance companies.
- Consult with a Personal Injury Attorney: An experienced personal injury attorney can guide you through the legal process, advocate on your behalf, and help ensure you receive the compensation you’re entitled to. They can handle communications with insurance companies and other parties on your behalf, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
Remember, each car accident is unique, and the appropriate course of action can vary depending on the specifics of the situation. Consulting with an experienced personal injury attorney can provide personalized advice tailored to your circumstances.
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT A CAR ACCIDENT OR PEDESTRIAN INJURY THAT YOU NEED ANSWERS TO NOW, GIVE US A CALL AT
You can also get answers about injury from vehicles from our Motor Vehicle Accidents FAQ below.